Sunday, November 21, 2010

"You never know how much you have until you don't have it.."
Thursday of last week the water was turned off in La Carpio.. I don't know all the reasons, but one of them was that a lot of the people don't pay their water bills, so they cut off the water supply... which kind of makes sense, but if they can't afford the water bill, why should the children have to suffer? I had multiple children come up to me this week telling me they were thristy and they wanted water.. and I couldn't do anything about it. So.. Tuesday they had a protest.. and really it was the dumbest thing ever. They didn't let anybody in.. they closed the road that goes into La Carpio.. and they started throwing rocks and lighting random things on fire. So... I'm not sure how that changes anything. They didn't get water until Wednesday or Thursday, and the refuge where I work still doesn't have any water. So.. yeah. That definitely sucked.

On Friday I went walking in La Carpio with my friends Callie, Walter and Ceci.. definitely the most sketchy walk of my life. La Carpio has quite the reputation of being super dangerous.. and I didn't feel 100% safe. But.. we walked pretty far away from the main road and saw the super poor houses. They literally live in the tiniest tin shacks.. probably smaller than my bedroom at home, which is 10x10 I believe. I went to my friend Ceci's house, and in her 'bedroom' there is one bed and her and her husband and her 5 year old daughter all sleep in that bed. It's just very... sad.. that we have so much and always want more and don't even appreciate what we have and always want more, and convince ourselves that we need more.. when really we have way more then enough.

The other day I was really missing my dad.. and I felt kinda homesick, and just really wanted to talk to my dad.. and I was sitting at dinner, and my host mom kept asking what was wrong, and I said nothing, and she said I don't believe you... are you sick? Ohh.. I know. You miss your dad. And then! I almost started to cry.. and then I thought.. I should go on facebook, maybe he'll be on. And! There he was. =) I was pumped.

Anyways.. nothing new really..
Love you all
xoxo
Jaclyn

No comments:

Post a Comment