Heyy everyone
I made it safely to Costa Rica and am super happy to be here.
My first flight was from Vancouver to Phoenix.. and I met a nice older man on the plane and he gave me a memory stick thing and let me download movies and music off it onto my laptop, and we talked the whole way there which was really nice and I felt super comfortable. When we landed a nice lady who was also on my flight helped me find my gate for my next flight, so I was well taken care of. From Phoenix to Houston.. I sat beside this couple who made out the entire flight.. so that was awkward and I just went to sleep. When I got to Houston.. I almost cried. The airport is humongous and I had a total of 15 mins to get to my gate to start boarding.. so that was hectic, but I made it, and from Houston to San Jose there was a super awesome couple sitting with me and we talked the majority of the way. When I got to San Jose I went to find my suitcase from the baggage claim.... and I waited and waited.. but guess what! They lost it! Yayy.. no luggage. So I made a claim and then walked out the door where Kellie O´Connel was waiting for me. She brought me to her house and I went to bed after we talked for a bit.. and in the morning their water didn´t work.. so no shower for me, but I can live without a shower for a day. Anyways.
She did orientation with me and then we went to the airport to pick up Meaghan and I got my luggage.. but guess what! They lost Meaghan´s luggage to. I swear.. the stupidity of some people. I am not really sure how they lose luggage. But anyways. We picked up Meaghan and then drove to our host families house, and they are great. I stayed with them a year ago, so seeing them is awesome. My spanish isn´t as bad as I thought it was going to be.. but I definitely managed to screw up and tell my host father (don angel referred to from now on) that I think his hair is pretty. Woops.
We went for a nice walk and got to try choco bananas.. which is a frozen banana covered in chocolate with custard powder.. so good.
A couple things that will take getting used to.. everytime you meet someone you give a ¨kiss¨ where you touch your cheeks together and make a smooching sound.. everytime you meet someone.
There is no hot water whatsoever for showers.. it´s freezing cold.. which would be nice in the afternoon or evening.. but all Costa Ricans shower in the morning.. and if you don´t you are seen as.. gross?
Things I love.. the language! I am so pumped to get better at spanish! Beautiful language.
The food! MMMm rice and beans from breakfast lunch and dinner. I am aware that this doesn´t sound overly appetizing, but it really is. They make it different everytime, and we get to eat plantains and different fruit juice smoothie things.. so good.
Anyways.. that´s all for now!
Keep praying for me please! I really appreciate it. If I didn´t know God was taking care of me I probably would´ve cried multiple times in the last two days, but I know he is good and has a plan for me here, and I am so excited to see him work!
xo
Jaclyn
hey jay this is a pretty rad update.
ReplyDeletewhen my aunt was teaching ESL in costa rica for a year and a bit she fell in love with the people! i hope you have an awesome experience.
and i like the touching cheeks thing. they do it in holland sometimes too!.
hope you dont get sick of the rice and beans!
So glad its all gone fairly smoothly for you :)I'll continue to pray for you and the work God is going to do through you in these next 4 months and beyond. Miss you oxox
ReplyDelete